Thursday, August 25, 2011

ANOTHER Annie Sloan chalk paint tutorial?...

 So I scored this sweet little coffee table a while back at the PTA thrift store for $5 bucks! She's been patiently waiting her turn in the furniture storage (ah' hem.. "hoard")  and today's her lucky day! So, lets get started hooking her UP!




*A lot of times with these "curvy leg" reproduction type pieces, the legs are loose and a little wobbly, so take this time before you paint to grab a Phillips or your hand drill and tighten everything up.* 

Then I made a solution of TSP and scrubbed her all down. Once she was all dry and cleaned up, I brought her in the living room...(YES, I paint in my living room) helloooooo this paint is magical..Memba'? No fumes, No Sanding, No Priming!  So, I lay out my drop cloth (A.K.A  6yo daughter's old bed sheet) and got to work! 



*TIP* Whenever you can, ALWAYS paint the underside and legs of the furniture first. It makes it a WHOLE lot easier to get to all the knocks and crannies and saves the strain on your neck and back! 

So, I mixed up A.S.C.P Old White and Cream to make a soft creamy white.  To avoid dripping all over the cans when pouring, I like to use my big medical syringe. You can use it to siphon out the paint you need without spilling it everywhere and it keeps your lids nice, neat and easy to open and close.  Great little tool to pick up!


I finished painting the under body, allowed it to dry..


and gave it the first coat of clear wax.



I applied the coat of wax, rubbed off the excess with a lint free towel..(AKA Hub's old T Shirt)

 *Tip! When you are done wiping back the wax your hand should glide across the piece. IF you get any resistance or you feel like your hands "catches" on a specific area..you've got too much wax still left on the piece. Chalk paint is very porous, so when you're apply the wax it actually sinks down into the open "Pores" of the paint and accepts what it needs. Everything left on the top is actually excess and that needs to be removed *  

This was a piece for someone who wanted a conservative look so I did some very light distressing.



 After the distressing I knew I wanted to give it a little more of an aged "Patina" so I applied Dark wax where I wanted more of an aged look. Always, make sure that you have good coverage of clear wax on the piece BEFORE you apply the dark wax.. because otherwise you'll be tryin' to remove that dark wax for days! It needs that barrier coat of clear wax, and THEN after you apply your dark wax, and you find areas you don't want dark wax on, just use some of the clear wax on a corner of your lint free towel and rub some of that dark wax off...the clear wax works like an eraser! 
You can easy-peasy wipe off as much as you like!


Apply Dark wax

Wipe off excess, with a clean cloth or T-shirt

After you do all your hot spots with the distressing, apply ONE more coat of the clear if you like, ( I did on this piece because it is a coffee table and I knew it would be a high traffic piece) buff it to a shine, and enjoy your fruits!
Till next time...Cheers Ladies, Meliss






VOILE!








17 comments:

  1. I love your posts! Thanks for the shout-out!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, she's just lovely! I love the chalk paint! Found you via 36th Avenue. Pop on over for a visit when you get a moment. Tootles, Kathryn
    http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/08/what-do-you-see.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the tutorial. I have the dark wax from AS, but have been afraid to use it. Your tutorial took away some of the fear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it turned out great!

    Found you in a blog hop and am now following you!

    Stephanie @ http://airforcefamilyadventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I am visiting from Debbiedoo's and so glad to find you. I'm a new follower and look forward to seeing more of your projects.

    Stop by and say hi when you can ~

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never worked with wax before!!! FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treasure for $5.00 bucks! I love these kind of finds! Beautiful outcome.
    http://trescherechattel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great table.....holy cow great find. YOu made it wonderful.
    Happy Day

    ReplyDelete
  10. Voile is right...I am a lover of the shabby, so this is just so beautiful to me!! Thank you for the inspiration. It is just lovely. Enjoy the day! Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Bookmarking so I can get some tips for a sofa table I have been wanting to re-do!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful! you did a fabulous job with the wax! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My parents have a coffee table just like this and have my whole life. Now maybe I can convince them to change it up! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. sounds and looks super easy.
    Thank you for the inspiration.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this table it looks divine! Oh yeah and also loved your reference to the control freak. Love your blog I'm having a hard time leaving.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous!

    Carolyn
    {my simple messterpiece}

    ReplyDelete
  17. I JUST finished re-doing a hutch in ASCP pure white. It was my first experience with the paint and wax. I"ll be sharing the results in a few weeks.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the message Doll face!